Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Prayer as Worship

By Stan Rhoden

John Piper says this about worship: “true worship comes from people who are deeply emotional and who love deep and sound doctrine. Strong affections for God rooted in truth are the bone and marrow of biblical worship. Biblical worship involves some kind of outward act. The very word in Hebrew means to bow down. Worship is bowing, lifting hands, praying, singing, preaching, performing rites of eating, cleansing, ordaining and so on”.

Worship stirs our affections for God. Worship is not just singing it is a way of life. One of the most powerful ways we can worship is through prayer. Through prayer we show gratitude and adoration, we come and bow before him and lay our selves at his throne, prayer is a very precious and intimate time of worship with our Lord. David through the Psalms shows us what it is to worship God through Prayer.

In Psalm 69:1-3 we see David crying out to the Lord to save and restore him:
“Save me, O God, for the waters have threatened my life. I have sunk in deep mire, and there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and a flood overflow me. I am weary with my crying; my throat is parched; my eyes fail while I wait for my God…”
This verse shows the great worth of our God, and how David feels about him. David is saying that no matter what happens to him and how bad life may get, that the potential, the very thought of God is better then any substance of anything else. David is worshiping God; he is proclaiming His worth and greatness. The book of Psalms are prayers worshiping God knowing that He is far greater, that His ways and thoughts are higher then ours and there is nothing better. (Isaiah 55:9)


God created us to worship. Every time we pray we worship. No matter what the circumstance – grief, anger, or joy – our communication with God brings Him glory because we acknowledge that He is bigger and better. As we pray throughout the week, may we not forget that we are worshiping, I pray we take the time to engage Him and allow Him to speak to us. As we come in on Sunday mornings for a time of corporate worship, may it we an overflow of what God has done and revealed to us that week.

No comments: